How Accurate are Smart Watches?
Wearable devices have as much as 20% error when measuring heart rate, and caloric expenditure measurements can be off by as much as 100%. Most wearable fitness devices overestimate total sleep time and underestimate wakefulness after sleep onset.
SMART WATCH ACCURACY KEY TAKEAWAYS
- Chronic stress increases risk of anxiety and depression, but good sleep and optimistic thinking build resilience.
- Reframing thoughts positively via planning, positive refocusing, and perspective taking bolsters wellbeing when stressed.
- Higher quality sleep is tied to lower depression/anxiety. Prioritizing rest enhances mental health resilience.
- Optimize sleep through consistent bedtime routine, ideal sleep environment, limiting blue light, and avoiding sleep disruptors.
- With commitment to constructive thinking and quality sleep, you can stress less and live better even during hard times.
In the whirlwind of life, stress is constant. Whether it’s work deadlines, financial pressures, or even global events like the COVID-19 pandemic, we all face periods of significant emotional hardship. While some stress is normal, chronic stress takes a toll, increasing risk for conditions like anxiety and depression.
The good news is research reveals effective ways to build resilience and adaptive capacity, protecting your mental health even during rough patches. Read on for science-backed tips on using adaptive thinking and good sleep to reduce stress and feel your best.
How to Harness the Power of Cognitive Adaptation
Science shows that how you think about challenging situations matters for mental health. People who tend to "catastrophize" or ruminate on the negative tend to fare worse emotionally when stressed. In contrast, those who deploy more positive cognitive coping strategies exhibit greater resilience.
These adaptive techniques include:
- Refocusing on planning - Thinking through constructive next steps and how to productively move forward.
- Positive reframing - Purposefully shifting focus toward the good or brighter aspects of a situation.
- Putting events in perspective - Reminding yourself that difficulties are temporary and things will improve.
Research led by the University of York in the UK found that people who used more of these constructive coping strategies during the COVID-19 pandemic experienced fewer symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Actively working to reframe thoughts in a more optimistic way may help safeguard emotional wellbeing in the face of chronic stressors.
How to Enhance Sleep Quality for Better Mental Health
Sleep is foundational for both physical and mental health, yet it’s often the first thing we sacrifice when stressed and busy. But research shows prioritizing rest pays dividends for resilience.
According to the University of York study, people who slept better early in the pandemic exhibited lower depression and anxiety months later. This aligns with past research revealing that improving sleep quality through behavioral changes leads to significant reductions in stress-related mental health symptoms.
Practical Tips for Enhancing Sleep:
- Establish a consistent bedtime routine to signal rest. Perform relaxing activities before bed like light yoga, reading or meditation.
- Create an optimal sleep environment. Keep the bedroom cool, dark and quiet. Consider blackout curtains and a white noise machine if you are in a busy city.
- Limit light exposure for 1-2 hours before bedtime. Light from phones, tablets and computers alerts your brain that it’s time to be awake and can disrupt your circadian rhythm.
- Avoid heavy meals, caffeine and alcohol before bed, as these interfere with sleep quality.
- If you wake at night, resist checking the phone or clock. Remain still, employ 4-2-8 breathing, and you’ll likely drift back off.
Start Putting These Resilience-Building Tools Into Practice
The next time you’re dealt a stressful scenario, remember your mental health partly hinges on the outlook you adopt and prioritizing self-care like rest. Reframing thoughts constructively and taking steps to enhance sleep quality can help cultivate emotional resilience even during rough patches. With commitment, you can stress less and thrive during difficult times.
Korem, Erik. “Accuracy of Consumer Wearable Technology” AIM7.com, March 8, 2023, https://aim7.com/post/accuracy-of-consumer-wearable-technology