How Accurate are Smart Watches?
Wearable devices have as much as 20% error when measuring heart rate, and caloric expenditure measurements can be off by as much as 100%. Most wearable fitness devices overestimate total sleep time and underestimate wakefulness after sleep onset.
SMART WATCH ACCURACY KEY TAKEAWAYS
- Clearly define the specific life impact or goal you are trying to achieve through improved health and wellness. Don't just focus on fixing symptoms.
- Research lifestyle changes and self-care tactics you can implement first before jumping to medical interventions. Taking ownership empowers you.
- Get very clear on the timeline you need for results and what level of improvement would be acceptably satisfactory. Customize goals to your needs.
- Have an honest conversation about the time, energy, motivation and financial investment you can realistically make. Avoid overcommitting yourself.
- Continually reevaluate your plan, collecting data on what's working. Make iterative adjustments until you see the results and life impact you want.
Is your health plan actually set up for success? In a world full of enticing marketing claims and quick fixes, it can be hard to choose a wellness program that delivers real results. This week on The Blueprint, functional medicine expert Dr. Kerri Masutto reveals her insider framework to cut through the noise and find health solutions that genuinely meet your needs. With over 13 years of clinical experience, Dr. Masutto has led medical teams at top digital health startups. Now, she’s sharing smart advice to protect you from getting ripped off and disappointed.
Dr. Masutto walks you through key questions for identifying your true health goals, including:
- What life impact are you trying to solve for?
- What can you do yourself before medical intervention?
- How quickly do you need a solution?
- What level of improvement would you be satisfied with?
She then covers the four investments you must evaluate before committing: time, energy, motivation, and money. Dr. Masutto explains why aligning a health plan with your actual willingness to engage is crucial.
Tune in to gain a framework to:
- Clarify your health objectives
- Research options appropriately
- Ask providers the right questions
- Pick a plan that fits your lifestyle
- Iterate continually until you see real change
- "What is the impact that problem actually has on your life that's prompting you to go seek help?" - Dr. Kerri Masutto
- "You have to come into, my goal is actually to be able, I'm worried that I don't have the energy to keep up with my kids." - Dr. Kerri Masutto
- "If the wellness plan or the medical protocol doesn't actually improve that impact, you're not going to be happy with the results."- Dr. Kerri Masutto
- "You're not handing over everything to a medical professional. You're playing a role in improving the main problem that you're actually trying to solve." - Dr. Kerri Masutto
- "If any of these four investments are off, you will fail." - Dr. Kerri Masutto
Korem, Erik. “Accuracy of Consumer Wearable Technology” AIM7.com, March 8, 2023, https://aim7.com/post/accuracy-of-consumer-wearable-technology